The Biggest Ways Mold Clean Up Could Put You in Harm’s Way

Mold clean up is not the walk in the park the average DIY homeowner might think.

mold clean upIdeally, very few people would have to deal with mold clean up. It would be great if the occurrence of mold damage was rare and that the discussion of it’s effects on your health were unnecessary because it’s so unlikely to happen in your life. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. At all.

Mold damage happens far too often, and in places where you wouldn’t expect. When we think of mold we think of flooded houses with water that sits for days, or we imagine a dank, dingy basement that has far too much moisture from leaking appliances, heck, we even think of that very old something-or-other at the back of the fridge that we’re pretty sure wasn’t originally that color.

The truth about mold is that it can grow easily on many surfaces with a little moisture and warmth. Because of this it’s far too common in many people’s homes. But how do we get rid of it? That’s the big issue. Because mold clean up may seem like a DIY project you could take on with a pair of gloves and some bleach, that’s actually far from the truth. Cleaning up mold could put you in harm’s way. Here’s how.

Mold Isn’t Always Where You Can See It… Or Reach It.

Mold doesn’t care if you can see it. It grows wherever the heck it wants to, even if that means under flooring, behind walls, in fabrics, and inside appliances. If you suspect you have mold you might try to clean it up even if it means moving something heavy, opening up a wall, or pulling up some carpet. And then spraying something as toxic as bleach into these small spaces just adds fuel to the fire. Don’t get injured trying to clean up mold on your own.

Mold Removal Isn’t As Easy as it Sounds.

Putting some bleach on mold on a surface might make you feel better about the mold situation in your home, but it won’t address the real problem, which is where did it come from and why is it growing in your home?

Putting a band-aid on the problem just increases your chance of having health problems as a result of continued mold exposure.

Mold Removal Requires Serious Precautions and Protection.

One of the primary ways mold removal can put you in harm’s way is lack of knowledge. The real danger in mold is in the mold spores. When they become airborne they can be inhaled, and once they’re inhaled that’s when they cause the most damage to your health and create the most serious symptoms of mold exposure.

When you start to clean up mold on your own, even though you have the best intentions, what you’re probably doing is spreading it around and creating a hazardous environment filled with mold spores. When surface mold is disturbed, as it often is when it’s being cleaned up, the spores detach and become airborne. This is exactly the situation you don’t want.

When experts tackle mold they cordon off the area creating a safe zone so the mold stays contained to protect the home and the inhabitants. They wear protective gear including coveralls, shoe coverings, gloves, eye protection, and masks to protect themselves. And they use the right tools and the right products to keep it contained, and to make sure they remove it completely.

Mold is so harmful, it’s so toxic and dangerous to your health to begin with. Trying to get rid of it on your own just increases that your chances of putting yourself, and your family, in harm’s way.

Instead of taking a chance of additional exposure, contact Can-Restore for help with mold clean up by calling (770) 400-9018.